Date:      19 Nov 2001 12:38:28 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        walton@digger.net
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re FreeBSD lockup accessing serial port on Thinkpad

I missed the origin of the thread on this, and now it's morphed into a
SMTP discussion; perhaps I'm too late.  If not...

Happened to me last night. FreeBSD-4.4 running on a thinkpad 560x.  I
had disabled COM1 and COM2 from the IBM software running under <ick> Windows </ick>.
I then did a ./MAKEDEV cuaa4 for a PCMCIA modem card.  But when I went
to use "tip", instead of typing

        set device /dev/cuaa4

I wrote

        set device /dev/cuaa0

When I connected to it with "term" and it locked the machine
hard.  Not only was that console screen locked, but ALT-F2 and other
console switching was also hung.  I couldn't get any response from the
box and had to power-down to recover.

PS: Is there a way to enable/disable serial ports and the other
  features that the IBM Windows software does, without having to go into
  Windoze?  I'd hate to think I'm gonna have to keep Windoze on that
  laptop forever, just so I can fiddle ports and devices. I don't see
  a way to do it in any BIOS, like I would expect on a desktop system.