Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 14:21:34 -0400
From:      J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-perl <freebsd-perl@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Please remove Perl from ports

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith
<stephen@missouri.edu> wrote:
> When I get into this kind of bad situation, I usually do something
> slightly less drastic:
> # pkg_delete -a

This is similar to what we do.  However, we add the following step:

pkg info -qoa | sort >/tmp/before-ports

Then afterword we can feed that into pkg install to make sure we got
everything back.  (Making adjustments as needed for stuff like
py-setuptools vs. py-distribute, which I've been doing a lot lately.)

It is not possible to say enough good things about poudriere.  It
makes these problems go away.

pkgng is also fantastic, though I will admit the inability to preserve
shared libraries causes a lot of chaos every now and then if you have
any binaries on your system *not* built from ports.  Like the ones
that do whatever your system actually *does* besides sit there and
accrue uptime.

The change from 5.14.x to 5.14 for the directory structure threw me
for a loop (though overall I think it is a good change).  That said, I
can certainly see why somebody not using poudriere could be made
miserable by it.  If I understand it correctly, part of the rationale
for the change was to make life better for those people in the future,
because perl can't find Simple::XML because perl is 5.14.4 and
Simple::XML is installed in the 5.14.3 directory is pretty maddening
too.  Many of us have probably been there; I certainly have.

Long story short, poudriere is the only tool I've found with
dependency tracking smart and patient enough to simply pave over those
issues by rebuilding everything affected, then pkg is smart enough to
reinstall everything affected just because a dependency changed.

So while I too can sympathize with the frustration, and I know change
sucks, and piling more change on top of that by switching from
postmaster to poudriere when things used to mostly work sounds very
unappealing.  It is worth it!  Add an additional exclamation point for
each environment or system past one you manage with the same
architecture, OS version, and package settings.

Good luck!