Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:42:39 EST
From:      FBSDSecure@aol.com
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   (no subject)

In a message dated 1/26/01 2:01:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, roam@orbitel.bg
writes:

> You can make your firewall log all denied packets - it's those that cause
>  ICMP responses, mostly.  I'm not sure logging all denied packets is a good
>  idea, though, especially if you expect - or even deem it possible - that
>  you might be attacked.  Trust me, I've had syslogd hog my CPU during
>  a portscan :)
>
>  G'luck,
>  Peter

To prevent portscanning, there is a package in the ports collection called
portsentry under both the net and security branches.  I an currently using it
on my firewall computer and when it detects that someone is portscanning your
computer, you can 'ban' the attacker's IP address using ipfw and email you
automatically.

Dan.