Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 21:58:03 -0700
From:      Haze <dionn@spiritone.com>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slowly going blind ;-)

On 10-02-98 @ 21:30:03GMT, Malarte <malarte@aei.ca> wrote:

> I was having a really good vision has I can remember from 1 year or so.
> Now I'm a little bit paranoic and I'm always checking how I see since I
> am on a computer. I have the paranoiac not so fun feeling than my vision
> is slowly decreasing.
> Are there any study/link on how can a computer screen damage your eye?
> I have a 0.28 17" screen with a 1024X768 resolution.
> Anyone here who have done 20 year of computing without wearing glasses?

11 years, not 20.  I wear glasses to correct for astigmatism but when
I'm at the computer they make my eyes strain.  So I quit wearing them
and found that my displays are positioned at just the right distance
that I don't have to strain my eyes to focus on them.

Nearsightedness: The ultimate in display ergonomics. :-)

> Anyone tried those crazy filter they sell you for 99$?

You mean those polarized glare filters?  They're a waste unless you're
getting glare from nearby lights and windows and you can't move the
lightsources/monitor.

What I do is darken the color schemes and turn down the brightness and
contrast (just a little), then position a light so that it illuminates
the frame and surrounding desk area.  My preference is a 60 watt rose-
tinted incandescent light bounced off the wall or ceiling.  Bounce the
light, not the lamp, that is.

--
Knowledge is the perception of truth distorted by reality