Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:54:18 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM not found with PIIX4 chipset, -current kernel

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 06:40:35PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > I'd have changed the hardware configuration to swap the second disk
> > with the CDROM, but I thought it would be much better if it could
> > be made to work, since it apparently can...
>
> Nope, it's almost certainly better to have your random access disks on
> two different controllers.

Oh yes, I won't try to argue against that since I quite agree. I'll
try this once I get tired trying my current config :-). I was just
considering that the more configurations that work, the better for
FreeBSD's ease of installation/configuration. The problem is bound
to happen again since this is a configuration (CDROM by itself on
a second IDE controller) currently sold by Dell.

Don't ask me why, Dell always tends to make weird choices regarding
how they install IDE devices and controllers. I suspect this has
to do with this weird, differently abled stuff sold by a major
company which lost the source code for it, arrogant enough to call
it an OS.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr