Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:29:38 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        vallo@matti.ee, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mformat in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 05:40:27PM +0200, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I keep getting this error while trying to mformat one faulty floppy.
> The procedure is:
>
> myhakas# mformat a:
> plain_io: Input/output error
> Trouble initializing a FAT sector
> plain_io: Input/output error
> ^Cplain_io: Input/output error
> ^C^C^Cplain_io: Input/output error
> mformat in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
> mformat in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.
> myhakas#
>
> The event occurs while repeatedly hitting Ctrl-C. Can this be any
> help to identify well known junk pointer thing ? Otherwise I leave
> it, because it doesn't cause any other trouble. I run quite recent
> current from Dec. 6. I haven't seen it before and I do lot of work
> with dos-formatted floppies. I provide any other information if
> needed.

It occur because mtools use non-signal-safe functions in its signal
handlers.  The 'best' thing to do would be to identify just what is done
wrong, and submit fixes back to the mtools maintainers.

As for the inetd problem:   We know what it is, we have a fix, and David
Greenman seems to be vetoing committing it due to its "inelegance".

Eivind.