Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:14:09 -0700
From:      Mahlon <mahlon-dated-1027577650.e2042c@martini.nu>
To:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A random sampling of minor issues.

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

Here's a few things that have been causing me minor irritation since
uprading to gnome2 a few days back.  I probably should have started
different subjects for each, but I don't consider any of them to
be a big enough deal to warrant it.

o	Clock Applet
	Refusing to appear in the panel for my user.  The process
	IS running, it's simply invisible.  Files for it are created
	under .gconf, etc.  To make this issue weirder, a different
	user on the system is having no problems with it whatsoever.
	Thinking I had a corrupt settings .xml, I removed it - no
	help.  For the sake of experimentation, I moved .gnome,
	.gnome2, .gconf, and .gconfd elsewhere, and fired up gnome
	with default settings.  Exact same problem when adding the
	clock - it simply doesn't appear for me.  File permissions
	appear to be fine.  I'm stumped as to why I'm the only one
	that is affected.

o	Inbox Monitor Applet
	Refuses to save preferences for the 'mail spool file'
	variable - affects all users on system.  Users mail spool
	is Maildir within the homedir - setting it manually works
	as expected.  On logout/login, it reverts to /var/mail/...
	All other preferences (icon, checking frequency, type of
	spool) work perfectly across logins.

o       WindowMaker 0.80.1 isn't playing nice with gnome2.
	Gnome hooks are compiled into wmaker, and it's seamless
	with gnome 1.4.  Under 2 specifically, Workspace Switcher
	applet doesn't appear to 'see' wmaker workspaces, and the
	panel can't decide if it's omnipresent or not when switching
	between workspaces.

o       Nautilus desktop mount points
	Ok, I'm sneaking a userland question in here.  :)  I keep
	seeing screenshots of gnome2 without the 'Root Volume',
	'var', etc mounts.  Is there a compile time option or a
	pref I am not seeing?  Or are they simply deleting the
	Nautilus desktop files before taking the shot, only to have
	them recreated the next time Nautilus starts up?

I'd love to get these minor things resolved - any one else experiencing
any of them?  Honestly, I'm not sure if they are even FreeBSD
specific, but the fact that I don't see any of them in mailing list
archives (both FreeBSD and Gnome) make me have to assume that I am
simply missing the boat on preferences somewhere.

Thanks for any info or RTFMs I missed.

-Mahlon

Mahlon E. Smith                          jabber id: mahlon@chat.martini.nu
http://www.martini.nu/                 get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp@martini.nu
  T-SHIRTS!! COFFEE MUGS!! BUMPER STICKERS!! MOUSE PADS!! KILL YOURSELF
                               THIS INSTANT

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy--