Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:33:28 -0700
From:      "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@interramp.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress installation

At 01:27 AM 6/11/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, John W. Rasins wrote:
>
>> I have an Intel EtherExpress 16 adapter in a Dell 486/33 machine.  But I'm
>> not having any success in getting it setup up within FreeBSD 2.1.0.  On
>> bootup, the ix0 driver is loaded since the card is seen during the ISA
>> probe.  To get this far, I did modify the kernel so that other devices at
>> similar address were not attached to the card before the ix0 driver (such as
>> wt0 and mdc0).
>>
>> My problem now occurs when trying to ifconfig the device.  If the Flash /
>> Boot ROM configuration is set to an address through Intel's SoftSet program,
>> the ifconfig command crashes the system with a kernel panic, and the error
>> is 12 (I believe).
>
>Unless this is a diskless machine, turn the boot rom OFF and leave it
>there.  Next, make sure the IRQ & info you picked aren't being used by
>something else.  third, use -c on the boot: prompt and make sure the ix0
>device configuration matches what you put in softset.
>
>> If the FlashBoot ROM configuration is disabled, ifconfig doesn't crash the
>> system, but doing a ping of an address returns - /kernel: ix.cx.nocs for
>> each packet sent out.
>
>groan -- irq config error I believe.
>
>> If I use the boot floppy, and try to setup the device use the
>> post-installation configuration steps, I do get prompted for all the
>> information for ix0 (hostname, domain, address, etc.).  But after accepting
>> the setup by pressing O.K., a few seconds goes by and I then get "Fatal
>> signal 11 caught!  I'm dead.." at the bottom of the screen.
>>
>> So, I'm no expert at FreeBSD, and I'm definitely struggling with this setup.
>> I could not find what I thought was appropriate in the FAQ or the Handbook
>> Web page.  Any help would sure be great.
>
>Does the card work under other environments (DOS, etc)?

Yes it does.

Thank you for the quick reply.  The Flash/Boot ROM was and is disabled.  I
put the IRQ back to 10, even though 5 was also unused.  The I/O address
remains at 300h.  There aren't any conflicts with either IRQ or the I/O address.

I have it working now by using the GENERIC kernel.  Apparantly, and not
surprisingly, I must have screwed up in modifying the kernel.  I don't
understand why it now sees ix0 with the GENERIC kernel, whereas before
either wt0 or mcd0 would be identified, thereby keeping ix0 from being
probed.  And that is all I was trying to do in modifying the kernel: comment
out those device lines.

I did notice that using the modified kernel, at bootup, "text" was shown at
0xd0000, but with the generic it was shown at 0xe9000.  I didn't see where I
would have even changed that, but I bring it up because the ix0 device as in
iomem address of 0xd0000 and iosize of 32768.  Maybe they were stepping on
each other?

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

John