Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:07:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Serge Pashenkov <serge@jbj.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Uninterruptible power supply support

	Hi,

I'm looking for a piece of software to have my FreeBSD box shut down
if the power goes away. There is UPS box wich will keep the system up
for several minutes, and then it supposed to send a signal on RS232
port, and the software should then do clean shut down.

So far so good, but the problem is that I can not sense anything
intelligeble on the port, it looks more like line noise. The
manufacturer has of course the software for Windoze and no desire to
share the protocol.

So, I wonder if it's a well-known thing and maybe somebody already did
in-depth investigation.

Any and all suggestions and references are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

	serge