Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 00:15:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system

    I happened across an interesting little process today on a few of
ous servers.  It appears to be the "sniffit" packet sniffer found in
the Linux RootKit.  I can mail the binary to anyone who wants to
analyse it.

    What it does is use bpf to log every connection between a pair of
hosts and save all the good parts to a series of files.  The guy
running the sniffer logged well over 17000 connections today and god
knows how many username/password combinations.  He was watching the
FTP and POP3 ports, mainly.

    I'd like to know how he was able to run the process as root.  The
binary is *not* setuid, and a "ps auxo ruser" shows the real owner is
also root.  The three servers I found it running on have 2.2-961014
installed, upgraded to sendmail 8.8.3.  The two shell servers have had
all but six setuid root binaries chmod 500'd.  The Web/FTP server does
not grant shell access.  Is there something with Apache 1.1.1 or
wu-ftpd I don't know about that allows a user to execute arbitrary
code as root?  I noticed lpr still had its setuid bit on the FTP
server, but afaik, there is no way to tell wu-ftpd to run arbitrary
programs as root.  We are running wu-ftpd 2.4(1).

    Any ideas how root access was available so easily?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.