Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:58:19 +1030
From:      Leigh Hart <hart@at.dotat.com>
To:        me <onemo@jps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: named message since upgrading to 3.1-Stable]

Hi Me, or Mo, or whatever :-)

me <onemo@jps.net> wrote:

> I keep getting the following message from named:
>
> ... named[104]: bind(dfd=24), [{ip addr}].53): Permission denied
>
> I chown'd the /etc/namedb/s directory to the bind sandbox ID as
> instructed. I'm using the following named.conf file:

"Permission denied" is not an error message limited to file permissions,
what you're seeing is the bind(2) system call failing to bind to port 53
on the ip address specified.

This usually means that bind is not being started as root.  No process
is allowed to bind port 53 unless it runs as root initially.

> I've searched through the BIND faqs and docs located at the ISC site to
> no avail. Everything works correctly, It's just 1) annoying and 2)
> possibly bothering my ISP(?).

Well, it's resolving for you correctly, london to a bridge it isn't
working as an authoritive source of name data !

Cheers

Leigh
--
| "By the time they had diminished | Leigh Hart, <hart@dotat.com> |
|  from 50 to 8, the other dwarves | Dotat Communications Pty Ltd |