Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:33:44 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Malartre" <malartre@aei.ca>
Subject:   Re: 12.7. How cool is FreeBSD?

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 01:51:39 -0400, Malartre wrote:

>Blah, I finded the problem. My cpu fan was down. After reinstalling
>win95, I finded than the bug was always there. So I checked -in- the box
>and finded my cpu fan not working.
>My pentium 200 mmx was one week or so without cpu fan.
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ225.html#225
>12.7. How cool is FreeBSD?
>
>FreeBSD is REALLY COOL, it was taking -really- more time than windows to
>make it crash when the cpu fan was down.
>Now the box is open and I have a 16 inch cpu fan hehehe.

ASUS makes motherboards that have a hardware monitor ASIC that can
monitor the RPM of three fans (special fans with tachometers), as well
as voltages and temperatures.

My motherboard is a ASUS TX97 and supports these features, though I
don't yet have the special fans.  I'm currently searching the net for a
price for these fans.

You can find out more at http://www.asus.com/