Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 15:19:22 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

> > Not at all.  Please join new-bus-arch.
>
> OK, I will join new-bus ML. But I disagree "now -current style bus
> code". -current bus code is very different other BSDs, it is large
> demerit. And, I NEED "new" config for staticaly configuration.

I think this illustrates the major points of difference between the
"newconfig" folks and the "new bus" folks.  Let me explain my
reasons for supporting the "new bus" movement; these may help explain
why we think it's worth the effort.

 - We aren't CopycatBSD; the "new bus" group is attempting to develop
   a new, better approach to handling the bus/bridge/device
   relationships.  "newconfig" is better than what we have right now,
   but it is not good enough.

 - Bus architecture "incompatibility" is not actually a significant
   issue.  We are already 100% bus architecture incompatible with the
   other BSDs, change simply for compatibility's sake won't give us any
   benefits, and it would stifle any attempt to do better.  Right now
   the few drivers that are shared amongst the BSD's all have different
   bus interface code anyway; there is nothing that will get "worse" if
   we change the mechanics of the interface.  There are also things
   that we are trying to do that can't be done with newconfig (at
   least, as it is right now - for sure it too can be modified).

 - Static configuration is evil.  More specifically, static
   configuration is a special case of dynamic configuration.
   "newconfig" does static configuration very well, but the "newconfig"
   architecture is not at all suitable for dynamic configuration.

> In now, -current bus code lack of many feature, NetBSD-current bus
> code has it. So, we use NetBSD style bus and device configuration
> code. We already re-write PCI and part of ISA code, it works fine.

I don't think this is good enough.  We don't want to be playing
catch-up to an architecture that was well-designed for systems where
configuration is largely static; we need something that will allow us
to grow and adapt to the future directions that systems architecture in
our target market is taking.

I don't mean to say "newconfig is bad", so much as to say "new bus is
better again".