Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:59:44 -0700
From:      Rocky Borg <rrborg@speakeasy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: box reboot after hdd write error

  On 8/17/2010 11:37 PM, claudiu vasadi wrote:
> Hello fellas,
>
> My system is a 8.0-RELEASE with 6 hdd's. 2 days ago I had some power
> failures and 2 disks were affected. These 2 hdd;s are connected to "atapci0:
> <SiI 3512 SATA150 controller>  port
> 0xd000-0xd007,0xd100-0xd103,0xd200-0xd207,0xd300-0xd303,0xd400-0xd40f mem
> 0xfa4a0000-0xfa4a01ff irq 12 at device 4.0 on pci2" s-ata controller. Before
> the power surge, the disks were operating normally. I use them for storage,
> therefore no system data is kept on them.
>
> The issue here is that after the write failure, the box reboots. Up to this
> point I cannot figure out why it reboots, since the disks contain no
> "relevant" data (from a OS point of view).
>
> Do you think it's normal for an OS to reboot if 2 disks have write errors ?
> even more so, if the disks have no OS files on them

How often is it rebooting? And it's not saying or doing anything it just
randomly reboots? That seems more like a hardware issue than something
OS related since the OS isn't even on those disks. If it's just data
disks you could unplug them to see if the machine still reboots. That
would let you know for sure if they really are the problem or if it's
something else. Are you sure the power surge didn't affect the power
supply? Also did you do anything to the system after the power surge
(like open it up for any reason where there may be a loose wire not
plugged in all the way). The last thing I would mention is this could
all be a coincidence and it might be related to heat, make sure all your
fans are working and that there isn't any big dust buildup inside (gogo
compressed air).