Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:52:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@freedom.cybertouch.org>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification...again

As long as well intentioned, capable people have trouble agreeing
what it means to be a network or system manager, they will also
have trouble agreeing on what constitutes a meaningful test.

If I were an employer, I'd view certifications much the same way
that I view college diplomas - as a tangible indication that the person
applying for the job has been able to learn specific skills well enough
to pass specific tests, and that this suggests that they will be able to
learn whatever I need them to know to do the job at hand.  I don't
view either a diploma or a certification as an indication that someone
can already do the job.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

I aggree with you with respect to differentiation between people viewing
on what a person can do or what the person is truly qualified for. But
then, would you go a person who says he/she can preform open heart surgery
yet does not have any certification indicating the practitioner has
recognized certification in surgery?

Trust me to the extent that without either a degree (usually in Computer
Science, a lot of experience [ verifiable] or certification, you won't get
any type of good job/career here.

Companies that even get you contract jobs won't touch you with out the
above.

Lanny