Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:40:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum

On Saturday, 12 June 1999 at 14:44:02 -0600, Greg Skafte wrote:
> I've just created a series of strip sets
>
> drive home1 device /dev/wd0s1g
> drive home2 device /dev/wd2s1g
> volume home
>         plex org striped 256k
> 		sd length 1535M drive home1
> 		sd length 1535M drive home2
> drive usr1 device /dev/wd0s1e
> drive usr2 device /dev/wd2s1e
> volume usr
>         plex org striped 256k
> 		sd length 1535M drive usr1
> 		sd length 1535M drive usr2
>
> drive var1 device /dev/wd0s1g
> drive var2 device /dev/wd2s1g
> volume var
>         plex org striped 256k
> 		sd length 1023M drive var1
> 		sd length 1023M drive var2
>
> now when I do a vinum printconfig
>
> drive usr1 device /dev/wd0e
> drive home1 device /dev/wd0g
> drive usr2 device /dev/wd2e
> drive home2 device /dev/wd2g
> drive var1 device /dev/wd0s1g
> drive var2 device /dev/wd2s1g
> volume usr
> volume home
> volume var
> plex name usr.p0 org striped 512b vol usr
> plex name home.p0 org striped 512b vol home
> plex name var.p0 org striped 512b vol var
> [rest of stuff deleted]
>
> If I read the printconfig correctly it states thata the plexes are stripped on
> 512b (bytes) but I've created them to be 256k (kbytes).

'b' is an abbreviation for 'block' of 512 bytes.

> Is this a reporting error, or is somethingelse happening that I'm
> mis-interpreting.

You're misinterpreting it.  However, looking at vinum(8):

     Some configuration file parameters specify a size (lengths, stripe
     sizes).  These lengths can be specified as bytes, as sectors of 512 bytes
     (by appending the letter s), as kilobytes (by appending the letter k), as
     megabytes (by appending the letter m) or as gigabytes (by appending the
     letter g).  These quantities represent the values 2**10, 2**20 and 2**30
     respectively.  For example, the value 16777216 bytes can also be written
     as 16m, 16384k or 32768b.

     For reasons of compatibility, vinum takes the letter b (block) to be
     equivalent to s (sector).  The use of this abbreviation is deprecated,
     since the size of a block is very dependent on the context.

This suggests I should be reporting the sizes as 's', not 'b'.  I'll
fix that some time soon.

Greg