Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/29699: Setting NO_MAILWRAPPER results in a system without working MTA

The following reply was made to PR conf/29699; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:12:58 +0200

 On Tue, 14-Aug-2001 at 12:54:21 -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
 > Andre Albsmeier wrote:
 >
 > > >Synopsis:       Setting NO_MAILWRAPPER results in a  system without working
 >     MTA
 > > >Confidential:   no
 > > >Severity:       critical
 > > >Responsible:    freebsd-bugs
 > > >State:          open

 > > When setting NO_MAILWRAPPER to /etc/make.conf sendmail still gets installed
 > > into /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail. In case mailwrapper has been used before
 >     ,
 > > an old /usr/sbin/mailwrapper is lying around and usually the link from
 > > /usr/sbin/sendmail is set. When you remove mailwrapper from /usr/sbin
 > > the link is stale and no /usr/sbin/sendmail is available anymore.
 >
 > This was intentional.  NO_MAILWRAPPER was added specifically to leave
 > /usr/sbin/sendmail *alone* so that people that clobbered it to install
 > their own MTA rather than using mailer.conf didn't get it overwritten.
 >
 > The problem with the attached patches (and the followups) is that they leave
 > /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail behind.  If somebody really wants to change

 Well, I think there _is_ need for changing something because otherwise
 /usr/sbin/sendmail points to a not existing/stale /usr/sbin/mailwrapper
 in case NO_MAILWRAPPER is used.

 > this, then set a symlink from /usr/sbin/sendmail ->
 > /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail so that we dont have (potentially dangerous)
 > old setuid binaries left behind that are no longer getting updated.

 So you suggest that if NO_MAILWRAPPER is specified, the
 usr.sbin/sendmail/Makefile should set a symlink from /usr/sbin/sendmail
 pointing to /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail?

 How about the etc/Makefile? Is the modification okay so there is no
 unneeded mailer.conf hanging around if NO_MAILWRAPPER is specified?

 	-Andre