Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 00:47:41 -0300
From:      Scott Wadden <swadden@altavista.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install woes..

I hope this is the right list...

Ok, I've been trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 over FTP via modem for
quite some time, without a great deal of success.  The problem seems to
lay in the TCP/IP negotiations with my ISP.

When I connect using the 2.1.7 boot disk, I enter my user name and
password, then get a line saying it's connected (something like
"beginning connection from 207.59.147.205 to 207.59.147.1".. although
those numbers are made up).  Then, it waits for a few seconds, and puts
me back at the ppp packet mode prompt.

When I install using the 2.2.6 boot disk though, it gives the "beginning
connection" message, then just stops.  It never goes back to a ppp
prompt, although if I press <ENTER> I get one.

I've tryed installing numberous times, using exactly the same settings
for 2.1.7 as 2.2.6.  Every time, 2.1.7 works, and 2.2.6 doesn't.

I assume that the default ppp settings in 2.2.6 must be different from
2.1.7, and, somehow, incompatible with my ISP.  Does anyone have any
idea which settings I should try changing?

I've allready tryed typing "set openmode passive" before I switched into
terminal mode and dialed and "set 0 0 HISADDR" (or something like that,
I know I had the command right when I typed it during install, I'm just
not 100% sure I have it right now) both before and after I dialed.  It
didn't seem to a make any difference.  The TCP/IP stack still didn't
appear to be negotiated, and, when I told it to start the installation,
it errored the moment I pressed <ENTER>.

I also tried installing 2.2.6 via the 2.1.7 boot disk by changing the
release name in the options menu.  All seemed to be working, so I shut
off the monitor, and went to bed.  The next morning I found an error,
and this as the last few lines in my log:

usr/lib/compat/libg++.so.3.0
usr/lib/compat/libgmp.so.2.0
96 blocks
MAKEDEV: arithmetic expression: syntax error: "1 << 29"

I would really like to install FreeBSD 2.2.6, but would prefer not to
have to purchas a CD or any other physical medium at this time.  Does
anyone have any idea how I could do that?  I'm sure there are a few
"set" commands that I could type to resolve my problem, although I have
no what idea what they could be.  And, if nobody knows the answer to
that, perhaps someone could give me some tips on installing 2.2.6 with
the 2.1.7 floppy.

Here's some info about my computer.  I have no idea if it will be of any
value, but I figure it couldn't hurt to provide it:

Pentium 75 over clocked to 120.  I've tryed installing with it at 75
though..
24 meg of non EDO RAM, no cache.  1 gig hard drive (master) and 4x CDROM
(slave) on primary IDE connecter.  500 meg drive set as primary on
secondary connector.  I'm attempting to install FreeBSD to the 500 meg
drive.
Matrox Mystique video card with 4 meg of RAM.
33.6 Logicode non pnp modem.
No sound card currently installed.
Regular 1.44 meg floppy

ISP info:
My ISP doesn't appear to use PAP or CHAP (hopefully I got that right).
It simply says something to the effect of "Welcome to Auracom", then
asks my username and password.
DNS servers: 204.50.137.1 and 204.50.138.2 (the 138 isn't a typo)
Gateway: 204.50.137.205

When installing 2.1.7, I set my gateway and IP as 0 so they could be
associated dynamically.  This seems to have worked fine.
When installing 2.2.6 I tryed using both 0, and the gateway that my ISP
provided.  It didn't seem to make any difference.

Ok, I guess that about does it.  Thanks for looking over my problem.
Hopefully someone has some ideas.. thanks.

Scott
swadden@altavista.net