Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 22:22:12 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: executables over NFS

> > the vnode, and subsequently aggressively cached, including page-out
> > to local swap store in preference to discard, so subsequent page-in

> Why would the file be paged out to local swap?  Being clean, wouldn't
> the pages be discarded once selected by the page-replacement algorithm?

It seems - to me - to be easier to just get a few selected blocks for
which one knows the block numbers already (i.e. swap space) than to go
through the vnode, have to do the translation from offset in file to
block number and then get the blocks.

And as far as I know without looking at the implementation of shared
libraries (I like reading VM more :->) in FreeBSD I think one would
have to handle references to parts of dynamically linked libraries in
there on page-in somehow.  An additional penalty to the CPU which one
can avoid with this, too.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.