Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:52:10 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        FBSDSecure@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 12:42:39AM -0500, FBSDSecure@aol.com wrote:

> To prevent portscanning, there is a package in the ports collection
> called portsentry under both the net and security branches.  I an
> currently using it on my firewall computer and when it detects that
> someone is portscanning your computer, you can 'ban' the attacker's
> IP address using ipfw and email you automatically.

Be very careful using automated responses like automatically
blackholing someone. Port scans can trivially be spoofed (most port
scanners like nmap include a command-line option to do this), and all
an attacker need to do is spoof a scan coming from your ISP's servers
and it will effectively cut you off of the network.

IMO, there's no problem with portscans if you run a tightly configured
firewall and don't allow in traffic except to services you trust the
world to be able to connect to.

Kris

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz--