Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:19:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Lee Crites (ASC)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

> This is almost a frightening message.  We were hacked like this
> two weeks ago.  How frequently are FreeBSD systems getting hacked
> into?  Is there even anyone who has stats on this kind of thing?

Not frightening, just depressing because once you investigate these
incidents you find that in 99.9% of the cases, it was down to one of
two things:

1. A security hole introduced through bad administration (someone
   fumble-fingers a firewall config and now suddenly the entire net is
   open to the outside).

2. A well-known security hole that has been announced on Bugtrax and
   other places but is not closed by the local admins.  People who
   remember all the way back to Robert T. Morris's Internet Worm
   will recall that half the systems attacked were Suns running an
   ancient version of fingerd for which patches had been available
   for months and for which Sun had released several public advisories.
   Did the admins bother to find out about this or, even once it was
   generally known, apply the patches?  No.

As long as human factors issues like this remain the biggest security
hole of all, I doubt you're going to see an end to this.  A FreeBSD
(or Linux or Solaris or AIX or ...) box is only as secure as its
admins are willing to make it.

- Jordan