Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 00:53:19 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The Case of Thomas Vs. E&S ([MESA:12] OpenGL for Linux )

> On Thu, 11 May 1995, Pedro A M Vazquez wrote:
> >
> > Should  we ask E&S to do a port for FBSD? Porting the SI is not
> > dificult if you have the sources and the license.
>
>     I'd love to have OpenGL/DGL available on the FreeBSD machines,
> since we are mainly an SGI shop.  Heck if I could run Showcase and
> have it display on a FreeBSD machine, that would be a good enough
> reason to buy the product.
> --

A couple of points:

Xinside, Thomas Roell company, was completating doing OpenGL. His offering
also includes support for a video capture. If we start generating
requests we may be able to get him to sell it us...

Software implementation of OpenGL is great but is absolutly nothing
compared to hardware support for a chipset such as the Real3d or
to a lesser extent the Glint chipset. So in this respect we
can really dust the linux crowd.

Now the Real3d is slated to be release the later part of this year so
if we start requesting support for it we may still have a chance :)

Whats all the fuzz about the Real3d chipset?
	Well, imagine a high-end SGI graphics workstation sitting
	on your desk but at a fraction of the cost of an SGI workstation.

For info on Real3D:

www    http://www.mmc.com/real3d/
email  real3d@mmc.com
voice  800 393 7730
fax    407 826 3358

I really do think that we as whole have to be more active in
pursuing support for key strategic technologies.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio