Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:37:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fred@clift.org>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: very old bug

> interested in *why* this is such a problem.  I can pinpoint the
> location of the infinite loop, at least in the msdosfs code, but I

I keep seeing people referr to mounted filesystems and msdosfs code --
those are not necessary to produce the problem.

The only time this problem has ever bitten me is when dd-ing floppy images
to make root/mfs install floppies.

Yes, it might be nice if the filesystem code checked for things like this
but the issue is deeper than that.  I dont know where in the code the
right checks _should_ be but they should be much lower than in the
filesystem code, and the filesystem code should ask this lower level for
this type of information.

I agree that it is an annoying bug, but it hasn't annoyed anyone enough
yet to fix it (well, and submit acceptable patches...)

At least, through serious aversion therapy, I've learned to check floppies
I insert for writing.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred@clift.org -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.