Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:38:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        developers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How long for -stable [ Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/finger finger.c ]

In message <85378.970625261@winston.osd.bsdi.com> Jordan Hubbard writes:
: > Speaking for myself as part of the security team, I don't want to
: > support 3.x for security fixes any more, since it's been just too damn
:
: To me, this is only an argument that you need more help, not that the
: fundamental idea of supporting security fixes for 3.x is somehow
: unsound. :-) It seems like you essentially agree in your next two
: paragraphs anyway, so can we now see a show of hands for "deputies"
: who'd be willing to work on back-porting even just security
: enhancements to 3.x (and, eventually, 4.x)?

Historically, we've had a few people step up to the plate for this and
then disappear.  I'm doubtful that something like this will work in
practice.  We had the same debate at the end of life for the 2.x
branch and no one offered to fill in the void.

Having said that, I would support having someone in the loop as part
of the SO team that would do nothing but 3.x support.  We can
certainly try things out, but my expectations are low.

Warner