Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:59:16 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        M?rcio Luciano Donada <mdonada@auroraalimentos.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 03:02:59PM -0300, M?rcio Luciano Donada wrote:
> Hi,
> We buy some hardware, new, but came with processors exchanged below what
> we ask. However, the manufacturing of hardware, informed us that we
> could install everything and then just replace the processor. how will I
> use FreeBSD in 90% of these servers, it really can be done well? After
> replacing the processor, I just simply re-compile the kernel and all
> packages that were installed previously? Can somebody give me some
> document FreeBSD.org about these details?

You shouldn't need to do anything.  Unless you compile with specific
optimizations which work with one processor and not the other (uncommon,
but not completely unheard of for processors that fix the same socket)
then the software will all be the same.

-- Brooks

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR--