Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:41:35 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rostislav <rosti@tiltan-se.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Official ISOs

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:41:53AM +0200, Rostislav wrote:
> It's already known fact that some packages (samba for example) are missing in official ISOs. So, is there any plans to reproduce the ISOs or maybe release new 4.5.1 RELEASE version, like 4.1.1 some time before?

  The extra KDE packages that were left off of Disc #1 were done so
intentionally.  We can fit "kdebase" onto the first disc, but it's
simply not practical to include teTeX and a number of the other larger
dependencies on the first CDROM.  That would be unfair to Gnome and
any number of smaller packages that would have to be removed to make
room.  The extra KDE packages were supposed to appear on disc #3 or 4,
but they were left out of the package split, and since we haven't been
in the habit of releasing all four discs as release candidates, this
was not caught in time KDE will install and run fine from the first
CDROM, but some of the optional KDE components are not there.

  Would you be interested in working on a "checklist" of must-have
packages for the CDROM set?  The package building team
(portmgr@FreeBSD.org) could really use some assistance formalizing the
procedure for splitting up the packages for the release.
Alternatively, we could ask the package builders to post a package
listing for discs 3 and 4 some number of weeks before the next
release.  I don't think that it is practical to distribute all four
ISOs with each release candidates (I'd be satisfied if more users
could download and provide feedback for just the first ISO), but it
may be worthwhile to allow all of our -stable users to review the
proposed package split to make sure all of the really important
packages are on disc 1, and as many popular packages as will fit make
discs 3 and 4.

  FWIW, we did add a number of packages to the disc 1 ISO based on
user suggestions from the release candidates.  If the package building
team can provide a new split for discs 3 and 4 then we can reupload
those to the FTP sites.  This is no justification for a point release
though -- this is a problem with the package set on the ISOs, there
have been no major problem reports with the actual released system.
This doesn't even affect net or DVD installs, for example, it is
solely a problem with the disc3 and disc4 ISO images.

  I think that we're up to 9 CDROMs worth of FreeBSD packages from the
ports tree.  Clearly, with each release there is going to be more and
more packages that don't make the cut.  The FreeBSD Toolkit 6-CD set
from FreeBSD Mall, and the DVD products from FreeBSD Services continue
to be sources for these additional packages that don't make the 4 CD
set.

	 - Murray

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S--