Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:31:05 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "James McNaughton" <jtm63@enteract.com>
Subject:   Re: Network throughput

On 12 Aug 2001 21:39:25 -0500, James McNaughton wrote:

>If the deficiency is in your customer owned wiring the cost for repairs
>is usually up to you. As has been noted, cheap CAT-5 is everywhere
>these days and this cable -- even if not perfectly terminated --
>should be able to carry dsl for short distances through your
>house. Even waxed string works (for VERY short distances).

as long as your not getting any outside rfi/electrical interference,
speaker or barbed wire work.  trust me i've seen it done ! (i am I&M
tech).  in most case, wire runs work great under CAT3, but if you are
going under 50-100ft with more than one number, go with CAT5 b/c of
less near/far-end crosstalk

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net