Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:16:56 -0800
From:      Jake <jake@checker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise IDE board docs

> >Well, sortof, the FastTrak is AFAIK the exact same HW as the Ultra33, =
just
> >with a more "advanced" BIOS that does the RAID stuff. The current plan=
ned
> >support is to use it just as a Ultra33 controller, and then use ccd to=

> >do the RAID magic under FreeBSD.
> =

> Interesting.  So the BIOS doesnt actually do the RAID work ? It still n=
eeds
> to be done in software ?

I think what he means is that if the OS supports it, the RAID stuff is
done in the BIOS.  We don't yet support it, so it has to be done with sof=
tware.

as an aside, I'd suggest vinum over ccd for the software part.
I have two 4 gig drives, and the performance is on par with what =

I've seen from single 8 and even 12 gig drives.

Cheers,
-- =

obfuscate v.t. darken; obscure; bewilder.

int i;main(){for(;i["]<i;++i){--i;}"];read('-'-'-',i+++"hell\
o, world!\n",'/'/'/'));}read(j,i,p){write(j/p+p,i---j,i/i);}