Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:33:43 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 02:58:34PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> We need to start hounding on AMD to publish the developer
> documentation for all radeon chipsets. I for one will not buy any AMD
> or ATI components until they decide to fix the problem.
>
> Here's the email address of AMD's president: dirk.meyer@amd.com
>
> Give him your two cents.

Boycotting their hardware due to lack-of public developer docs is
extreme but justified.  Everyone has the right to do that if they
desire.

But in my opinion, mailing the president of AMD is really not the way to
go about this.  That methodology invites angry people sending him
flames, which does nothing but destroy the image of a mature, reliable
open-source community.

Besides, chances are it's not Meyer who's making these decisions (re:
proprietary hardware / NDA-only documentation), but a few select
individuals at ATI who are fuelled off of paranoia (the most common
defence being fear nVidia/other competitors will "steal their
technology").  Really sounds like the decision of a legal dept. and not
a CEO.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |