Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:19:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   scsi hard drive errors (ncr controller)

[Please CC me on any replies]

I think I've managed to toast one of my scsi disks - machine got knocked
while booting and hung. After reset, totally unable to query the disk.

I can see it's config ok in dmesg and from a scsiformat, but if I try to
fsck I get:

# fsck /c
sd3(ncr0:3:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:12,0 Address mark not found for id field field replaceable unit: d8 sks:80,11
, retries:4
sd3(ncr0:3:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:12,0 Address mark not found for id field field replaceable unit: d8 sks:80,11
, retries:3
sd3(ncr0:3:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:12,0 Address mark not found for id field field replaceable unit: d8 sks:80,11
, retries:2
sd3(ncr0:3:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:12,0 Address mark not found for id field field replaceable unit: d8 sks:80,11
, retries:1
sd3(ncr0:3:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:12,0 Address mark not found for id field field replaceable unit: d8 sks:80,11
, FAILURE
sd3: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (sd3 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)
Can't open /dev/rsd3h: Input/output error

I've tried fsck -b 24, newfs -N (to get a full list of backup superblocks)
and dd but get the same result.

It's been way too long since my last backup :-( I'm guessing the disk is toast
and I've lost all the data. Or is there anything else I can try ?

Otherwise I'll try a scsiformat -w (which I expect to fail) and then throw the
disk away.

thanks

Tony