Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 20:11:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Neil Bradley <root@synthcom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

[ I got lost as to who said what, so if it appears that the wrong person
is being quoted here, no harm intended ]

> >  > > Grand Total: 4 Interrupts, 3 DMA Channels, 7 sets of I/O ports...
> >  > One would think you could share interrupts... then ask where it was
> >  > coming from.

ISA Interrupts are not shareable - they're edge triggered.

> It makese sense that you would have one interrupt per card so you don't
> run out between card slots and onboard devices... it's stupid that the
> GUS doesn't have an interupt multiplex on board.  You'll have to live
> with it until you buy a pure PCI system instead of a PCI bridged off
> of ISA.  I recommend the Apple and Motorolla chipsets.  8-).

Too bad no one makes extensive lines of boards for PCI Apples. ;-)

PCI Isn't "bridged off" of ISA. It's the other way around. If that were
the case, then PCI couldn't run faster than ISA, now could it. ;-) Besides,
this isn't a problem with Intel/Mortorola, it's a problem with the ISA
bus, and if you recall correctly was implemented by IBM - not Intel.

> Conclusion: If you have problems, it's because your GUS is too greedy.

You are right about sound cards being entirely too greedy. The setup on
the cards themselves is pretty horrid - causing the whole machine major
grief if they're set up even slightly incorrectly.

Back when I designed BIOSes for P5 motherboards, we'd initialize ISA
devices first. We'd start by shutting off all on-board capabilities in
case someone plugged in an off-board IDE, Serial, Video, etc... card.
After it did that, we'd take the existing user's setup and set up
on-board devices. Then EISA. Then, from the pool of I/O, memory, and
interrupts, we'd allocate space for PCI devices. PCI Devices always went
to the end of the heap, because, by PCI's definition, it was a
requirement that they not be fixed in BIOS.

-->Neil

Synthcom System's homepage:                         http://www.synthcom.com/
Europa Upgrade, Synth patches (D-50, Xpander/Matrix 12), used gear pricelist