Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:38:06 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/src & /usr/obj as links - no go :(

Lauri Laupmaa wrote:

> Jason Andresen wrote:
>
> > You're upgrading from 4.1 aren't you?  Try installing 4.3 off of CDs or
> > from the net (as an install) and cvsup+recompile from that.  I had
> > this same problem when I tried to cvsup my 4.0-RELEASE boxes to
> > 4.3-STABLE.
>
> I canot do that :(
> I'm too far away from the machine...

Hmm, then it's problematic.  If you look through the CVS logs for those
files, you should see when the change took place (adding the call to
basename and requiring a nonexistant header).  If you CVSup to the
source tree right before those changes it should be able to compile.
After you install that world, try cvsuping to the current -STABLE
and try compiling again.  I know I never hit a roadblock like this on
my -STABLE machines that I kept more or less up to date, so
theoretically this should work.

This is unbelievably ugly however, and I'm hoping someone else on this
list has a better idea.

One hack approach that I do _not_ endorse is to download the missing
header file and stick it in place.  Then (in single user mode!)
grab the newest libc and use it to replace your old libc.  Then
buildworld (hopefully not running into any problems) and
install.  This approach may leave your machine in an unusable state,
so I can't recommended it.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer