Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 08:41:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Samy Touati <lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BitsurfrPro on FBSD 2.1 & MLPPP broken

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Samy Touati wrote:

> How did you set up your hardware under win95.
> I set it up but I'm never able to use mlppp. It's like there's an init
> string sent to the bitsurfr just before dialing that put it in ppp mode
> with one channel.

Right-click on the Dial-up Networking icon for your ISDN connection and
select properties.  Click the Configure button to bring up the BitSURFR
properties window.  Under the Connection tab, click the Advanced button.
In that window, there is a box where you can enter the init string that
is used before dialing.  To use mlppp, enter:

   at&f1%a4=1

That should do it, but double-check in your manual since I'm just
remembering this off the top of my head.  It might be %a4=2, but I'm not
sure.

When you double-click the Dial-up Networking icon to start the
connection, you'll need to manually edit the phone number.  You need to
specify a number for each channel, but Win95 doesn't let you do this in
the Dialing Properties.  The BitSURFR expects a dialing string like:

   atdt5551234&5551235

So before you start dialing, edit the displayed number to read:

   5551234&5551235

If the place you are calling uses automatic rollover of the lines, so you
only have one phone number to call, you can use the same number twice:

   5551234&5551234

> Is the tcp extensions stuff supported by the bitsurfr mlppp? And what
> about the Van Jacobson compression? I disabled and enabled them without
> any change in behaviour.

I think these are a software issue between the computers on each end of
the connection.  The BitSURFR shouldn't care about the details of the
data it's transmitting.  In that regard, it's no different than a modem.

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503