Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 1995 21:03:00 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, x_cbug@netscape.com
Subject:   Re: Timing bug with Netscape 2.0b2

> It isn't just blinking text (although if you want a cool example, try the
> Netscape Hall of Shame:  http://www.meat.com/netscape_hos.html  and click
> on "Blink Sink").  Another thing which is supposed to blink (but in
> FreeBSD does not) is the insertion point in the currently active
> TextField (for example, in the Location box at the top, or in a fill-out
> form).

OK, I just verified this.  You're right!

I even know what's happening, though not exactly why.  The event loop
select()'s on the X / network sockets and also sets a timeout (or
*should*) for processing any interval tasks, like blinking.
Apparently, it's not falling out of select on the timeout to the blink
task and it requires some other event on one of the selected fds
before the blink task can run.

I actually kinda doubt that this is a FreeBSD specific problem.  It's
more likely something in the Motif or Xt libraries they're using.  I'd
lean towards Xt since that's where XtAppAddTimeout() lives, unless
Motif has added a wrapper function for this in 2.0.  It could also be
an application side error in Netscape itself.

					Jordan