Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:34:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Jev <jev@ecad.org>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gethostbyname_r() fbsd equiv?

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Im porting partysip, which is a SIP proxy/registrar amongst other
> > things. I think it would be pretty nasty kludge to have the port depend
> > on squid. Or do you suggest that I pull squids implementation of
> > gethostbyname_r() and make a patch for partysip? (actually that seems
> > obvious now).
> > I think there may be license conflicts there as the particular part of
> > code is LGPL. Licensing issues are not my forte nor my interest :)
>
> You'd need to distribute them as seperate things, to save the
> License problems, if you went that route, which is why I
> cautioned you.  As a seperate thing with another implementation
> available that wasn't under GPL, the fact that the interface was
> available from a non-GPL source would save you, as long as you
> didn't distribute it as part of it.  I hate licenses that do that.
> 8-(.

This summer I was doing some research for an NSF funded project dealing
with videoconferencing implementations using SIP (In an effort to
escape proprietary stacks in the windows world, much of my research was
focused on porting at least portions our application to unix). One of the
products I looked at was partysip, although the license issues make it
less than attractive.

An alternative that you may which to consider is the vocal suite from
vovida.org. The license is similar to a BSD style license, will compile on
FreeBSD out of the box (use gmake rather than make), and likely has much
more 'features' than you'll ever want to use. I _think_ it requires the
GNU sip implementation (from http://www.gnu.org/software/osip/ ), but I'm
not 100% certain. It's likely that the vocal package will give you a firm
groundwork to expand, but unlikely that you'll want to use it "as-is" in
its present state.

- Jeff

--

Jeff Jirsa