Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 01:18:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Colin Percival <colin_percival@sfu.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: release variability

Colin Percival wrote:
>    I tried to make 4.6-RELEASE, but it has unfortunately broken due to
> linkrot; http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/xhtml1.zip has changed since when
> June, causing a checksum mismatch while building one of the requisite ports.

Unfortunately, FreeBSD is not completely self-hosting for
arbitrary versions, because the ports needed for the docs
build out are not chcked into FreeBSD's source repository.

The best suggestion I have is to find an older version, and
copy it into your local ports directory, which will keep it
from being downloaded (and therefore have incorrect contents)
during the build, since, as I said before, the build process
copies local ports files into the chroot's distfiles directory,
which avoids the download.  What could have been a problem on
machines that were unsynchronized can now save you from the
FreeBSD source tree self hosting bugs with regard to docs).

-- Terry