Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:24:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Marc Tardif <admin@wtbwts.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardware vs software stripping

I've been reading the freebsd-scsi mailing list, the dpt.com website and
searching all over the web to find a solution for performing fast reads on
an array of disks. The best choice seems to be raid-0 for our database
using postgresql. The alternatives are either raid-1 which seems too
wasteful on disks or raid-5 which provides fault tolerance. This last
option could substituted for a tape backup and the possibility of a few
minutes down time in case of disk failure. Problem is: hardware or
software?

For hardware, I've been looking at the smartraid iv controller from dpt
and perhaps their smartstation7 for an array of 7 x (9 or 18 gig drives).
Although this solution isn't out of our price range, it seems to be better
suited for raid-5. Considering raid-5 does stripping at the byte level, it
might not even be as fast as raid-0 which also saves on redundancy.
Therfore, for something as simple as stripping, using such hardware could
be overkill. Besides, I'll still have to use ccd to do the stripping of
the disks for raid-0.

For software, I think freebsd's ccd could provide all the services
required for very fast i/o on a straight array of disks and at a fraction
of the cost of the raid alternative. Unfortunately, I have never witnessed
the virtues of raid myself and I am not in a position to make an educated
decision. I would therefore appreciate if someone from this mailing list
could share their experience to help with my dilemna.

Thanks in advance,
Marc