Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:41:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, alexjeffburke@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: i915 DRM enabled in X.org log but not in glxinfo

Alex Burke wrote:
 > When I check the X.org log file, it says direct rendering: enabled on
 > my graphics device (it attaches its i810 driver to the kernel's i915
 > DRM device). This would appear to me to suggest that atleast the X
 > server is running with full DRM capabilities.
 >
 > But when I use glxinfo, it says direct rendering: No. I am just
 > wodnering, is there anything special I need to do for GL to work with
 > the DRM stuff? I haven't installed (atleast knowingly) any other MESA
 > library, so following the advice I have found that should be all I
 > need to check, but apparently something else is wrong and I haven't
 > the faintest idea what to look for.

Have you installed the graphics/dri port?  Which version?
Which versions of Xorg and FreeBSD do you have?

For comparison, you can find dmesg, Xorg.log and glxinfo
output from my notebook (also i915) here:

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/centaur/

Best regards
   Oliver

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman