Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@polkan2.dyndns.org>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Silly crackers... NT is for kids...

In a corporate environment (as it was mentioned here before) telnet is
useful. Users of Unix boxes in big companies tend to be programmers, not
system administrators and hackers. The best environment for development is
when any service is enabled and all users have blank passwords so that
anyone can use anyone's machine.
But of course disabling telnet for accessing from the outside world is a
problem because people do want to use start, run, telnet, not some
weird ssh program.
But there exists a way to make people stop using telnet. First of all tell
them about ssh clients. Putty is absolutely the best for Win32:
Install MindTerm applet on your server so that people will be able to
access it without any downloads.
And finally setup your telnetd so that it will print a message saying
"telnet is insecure. please use ssh" etc. It will display this message,
sleep for 60 seconds and then run normal telnetd. Most people will just
sit there and wait for 60 seconds, then use telnet. After one or two month
of this torture disable telnetd for good (keep the message, but don't run
telnetd). People will download ssh and think "Thank God, I don't have to
wait for 60 seconds now! I love that SSH thing!"
That's what our sysadmin did (shell server used by some 4000 undergrads)
and it worked.