Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:10:17 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming Releases Schedule...

Jo, so it seems to me that you could just start by maintaining your own set of
extended support patches for the FreeBSD releases you care about.  I don't
think you have to be a committer or secteam@ member to do this.  It does mean
that you might not be able to fix a bug in, say, 6.2 at the same exact time
the advisory goes out at first, but you could take the patch from the
advisory and apply it to your local 6.2 tree and then update your "cumulative
patch" (would probably want to use some sort of source code control for this
where you basically branch from FreeBSD X.Y where X.Y is a vendor branch of
sorts).  That would let you build the "street cred", as it were, to be able
to get the patches directly into FreeBSD more easily.

To start with it is probably going to be a bit slow as far as getting things
committed directly to FreeBSD proper as it means finding a committer who has
the time to test and review your patch and then commit it.  However,
the "Unofficial FreeBSD 6.2 Patchset" can be updated more quickly since it is
something that would be under your control.  Also, doing this will give you
insight into exactly what is required to support a release after it is EOL'd
in a much more direct fashion than an e-mail thread.

--
John Baldwin