Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:05:56 -0500
From:      David Reedy Jr <davidrjr@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to open device file "/dev/lpt0": Permission denied

Small home network. Trying to get cups working on my server.

FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #4: Tue Apr 15 11:01:37 CDT 2008
    root@omega.myhome.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OMEGA
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/9 bytes threshold
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppbus0: [ITHREAD]
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 6L/0101.01> PRINTER HP ENHANCED
PCL5,PJL
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ppc0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ppc0: [ITHREAD]

As you can see, I have a LaserJet attached to the parallel port. Here is
my printers.conf.

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
# Written by cupsd on 2008-04-21 12:16
<DefaultPrinter laser>
Info HP LaserJet 6L
Location Top
DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lpt0
State Stopped
StateMessage Unable to open device file "/dev/lpt0": Permission denied
StateTime 1208798191
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
AllowUser root
AllowUser davidrjr
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

Trying to print a test page from the cups web interface on a client
machine, I get the error message. Doing chmod 777 /dev/lpt0 does not
change anything.

Can somebody tell me what I've done wrong or point me in the direction I
should be looking?

Dave