Date:      25 Feb 1998 13:48:38 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        ABAMFICI@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: single key shutdown | pulling the plug ideas...

ABAMFICI@aol.com writes:
> source if you will, i.e. the plug coming out of the wall.  The idea of taking
> out each individual plug (printer, monitor, comptuer, etc.) from the
> powerstrip is well, stupid.  :)  A small batter pack in the strip wouldn't
> necessarly be noticed, but I'm sure a large backup power box would which
> defeats the purpose of your demonstration if I recall correctly.

I think you misunderstood. What he wanted was a simple way to shut
down FreeBSD gracefully (without suing to root and typing fasthalt)
because the personnel in charge of the machine at the trade show is
not competent enough to do so.

In an ATX/APM system, it should be possible to keep the motherboard
from shutting off power when the on/off switch is pressed. You would
catch the event and wire it to fasthalt the way CTRL-ALT-DEL is wired
to fastboot.

--
"I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out." (Michael Press on a.s.r)