Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:29:29 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0 performance (was: 80386 out of GENERIC)

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 12:19 am, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 5:58 AM +0100 12/17/02, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> >Also didn't someone mention that GCC has got slower anyway ?
>
> gcc is slower at compiling things.  This is very noticeable when
> you're doing a buildworld.  The code which gcc 3.2.1 produces
> does not seem any slower than the code produced by gcc 2.95.4
> (the version in freebsd-stable).

Actually, in my benchmarks here, the same code tends to yield much faster
executables under gcc3, particularly in C++.  But these are limited
benchmarks (primarily of KDE and my own applications).
I'm willing to trade some time on the compile (which, with any luck, happens
only once) in exchange for speed in the application (which I may use every
day)! :-)

-Cliff L. Biffle