Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:13:18 +1000
From:      "Robert" <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need some clues here. cvsup to 4.2-STABLE - some anomalies causing keyboard failure.

There seems to be a problem with the whole process here somewhere.
A number of poeple tell me they have keyboard problems when upgrading. With
lots of different ways of getting around the problem. Wouldn't it be better
to find the root cause?

In my case, 4.0-RELEASE works fine from a CD install.
Upgrading to 4.2-STABLE. (src-all, ports-all, doc-all) buildworld,
installworld, buildkernel, installkernel leaves me with a dead keyboard.
There seems to be some interaction between it and the mouse, but I can't see
what that would be.

A search of dmesg, and boot -v output shows these obvious things, but
nothing else that is obvious.

First the Keyboard is returning '6' not 0. No idea what that means?
===========================
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
device_probe_and_attach: atkbd0 attach returned 6
============================

The USB port on 4.0-RELEASE works correctly, returning the name and company
etc associated with the device attached to it.
This output from 4.2-STABLE shows it failing - It's not showing what is
attached to the port at all, in fact disabling it.
============================
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 2

Apparently something has changed between 4.0 and 4.2 in these areas.
They may not even be relasted to the keyboard problem - althoug hpart 1
certainly is.

Do any of the developers have any ideas how to fix this? Everything else
appears to be fine?

Thanks
Robert