Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:26:39 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange localhost NS look attempts

On Tuesday, April 03, 2001 10:14:45 AM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran
<kwc@world.std.com> wrote:
+-----
| >If we ignore the LOG_IN_VAIN red herring, what's really happening here is
|
| Are you saying LOG_IN_VAIN is not such a Good Thing?
+--->8

No, just that the initial "it's because you have LOG_IN_VAIN turned on"
suggested that that was somehow causing the real problem, when in fact it
was providing clues about the real problem.

(That said, I disabled LOG_IN_VAIN because it's way too chatty; in
particular, when I use my laptop on CMU's WaveLAN network it's constantly
logging about broadcast packets from Windows machines in the same area.)

| Agreed, I think it has more to do with the nameserver.  But
| maybe Yet Another Netscape Problem?  Any idea(s) as to a fix?
| Or should I Just Live With It?
+--->8

I have no idea.  Maybe use tcpdump to find out what it's trying to look up?

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu