Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:28:19 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Zippy <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

> This is why I believe that FreeBSD emulation for Linux is the correct
> move.

I still think that this exhibits a rather staggering degree of
naivete' about how business actually works, however.  I wasn't aware
that we were putting together a wish list of items that we could have
if peace and love reigned over the earth and man loved his fellow man
(outside of SF), I thought that we were here to discuss real-life
issues.  In real-life, just having FreeBSD emulation for Linux by no
means gets people to suddenly rush to produce FreeBSD binaries
because, as I said before, the incentive just isn't there and it isn't
there because of NUMBERS, nothing that you or I can change overnight.

It's also a point which is undoubtedly moot since I don't see anyone
capable of doing the actual work to implement such a thing emerging
from the woodwork anywhere.  Various people in the Linux world have
looked at this problem at various times, if for no reason other than
to shut us up about the emulation issue, and they've all concluded
that It Would Be Hard - too hard to contemplate for such a nebulous
gain.  If you've got one hiding in your back pocket and think you can
convince the Linux vendors to adopt it (without such buy-in, the
discussion is again moot) then by all means go for it, but I rather
suspect that I'll see NFS and PCCARD support fixed before I ever see
FreeBSD emulation in Linux (and those first two projects have been
going on for *years* without success so far :).

- Jordan