Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:32:11 +0400
From:      "Andrey E. Lerman" <lae@uniyar.ac.ru>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   info on suid/sgid files

[I'm sorry if it was discussed before, but archives search is
not working right now. :( ]
I did a quick search for a suid/sgid files on our server's hd
and found a lot. I really didn't expected so many. I removed
bits on about 80% of it without any visible (yet) impact to
system's operation. So I'm wondering, where to find info about
what these suid/sgid bits was for and what I loose removing
them. Some of progs I chmod'ed really amazed me, for example
quota, df, ps, dump, restore, shutdown...

It would be nice if info about need of increased privileges
needed for given program would be clearly stated in manpage.

I'm running 3.1-R now, but it will be upgraded to 3.2-S soon.

--
Andrey E. Lerman @ Yaroslavl State University
ICQ: 9418370, primary email: lae@uniyar.ac.ru