Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:41:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Bror 'Count' Heinola" <count@key.hole.fi>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        davidg@root.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MotherBoard Jumper Settings...

Terry Lambert taisi sanoa:
> > 	AFAIK, DX/4-100 CPU's run only at 3x33MHz _or_ 2x50MHz mode
> > 	which should be jumper selectable on the motherboard. At least
> > 	all motherboards (and CPU's, two AMD's and one Intel) have=20
> > 	worked like that.=20
>=20
> I haven't seen a 2x50... I would like to.
>=20
> I have a motherboard with a 50 (not clock doubled) with a 50Mhz
> memory bus, which I intentionally hot-purchased over spec hardware
> for to run the EISA bus at 50MHz.

	I don't remember the exact part #'s offhand, but Intel Overdrive
	chips come with two flavours, one with 'R' and one without. The
	'R' version can't be run clock-doubled. AMD DX4/100's all run
	in 'DX2' or clock-doubled modes. You need to patch your motherboard
	a bit if you don't have a clock multiplier jumper. The 'patch'=20
	involved grounding a certain pin on your CPU.=20

	I saw the instructions on how to do that in UseNet group
	comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips about 9-10 months ago. I've saved
	one article from that thread, I hope it helps.

-- begin included message --

>From: camps@news.eb.ele.tue.nl (Johan Camps)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
>Subject: AMD DX4: New version !!
>Date: 6 Jul 1995 10:17:17 GMT

After having several problems with two different computers, both using
an
AMD DX4 100, I wrote AMD techsupport.

The answer I got was quite shocking: AMD has renewed their DX4's, to
make
them fully Intel compatible. The compete answer was as follows:

Dear Camps,

          Thank you for your email.

The earliest version of the AM DX4-100 is not totally compatible with
the
intel processor and the differences are :

>One pin difference, Pin B13, which support the clock multiplier and
should
be left floating to triple the clock or connected to ground to allow a
doubling clock mode.
>it has no power management (SMM)
>its cache type is only write through type with 8K

However, the latest version of the AM DX4-100 and DX4-120 which is
reffered
to as the enhanced parts, is 100% compatible to intel and incorporates
the
power management as well as the write back with no pin difference to
intel
processor. This new enhanced version is out in the market at the start
of
this month.

The part number for the enhanced part is: A80486DX4-100SV8B
          S : Parts with SMM
          V : 3.45V+/-0.15V
          8 : 8K cache
          B : write back cache type

If you require further assistance, please forward your enquiry by fax or
email and we will deal with it as soon as possible.

                    Best regards,

                    Mohamed Bara
=20

--=20
Bror 'Count' Heinola	% count@key.hole.fi	% http://pobox.com/~count/
Pengerkatu 13b A5	% IRC: Count NIC: BH271	%=20
FI-00530  HELSINKI	% Work: bror@sms.fi	% Roads? Where we're going,
Cell: +358-40-5533-554	% Santa Monica Software	% we don't need roads.