Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:36:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Problems in 2.2 ?

> Hi,
>
>   I'm having lots of problems with NFS deadlocks in my recent configuration.
> Both client and server are 2.2-STABLE, with 3c905 100Mbps ethernet boards.
> Right now, for example, I have a netscape and am elm locked.  If this helps,
> here's the output of a "ps -axlww | grep nfs" on the client:

Same here. I have a 2.2-STABLE server with one SMC 8434 and one SMC8416C.
This machine serves: 4 SGIs, 1 Suns, 2 HPs, 2 Linux :-(, 4 Apples and about
100 PCs.  Among the PCs there are 4 BSD 2.2-STABLE machines and only one has
severe problems. This is a:

PPro 200 with 2940 and one SMC8416C (== EtherEZ on ISA BUS).

When mounting a nfs drive from the above mentioned server, it takes between
2 and 60 minutes and all nfs activities get frozen. I have some error
messages in dmesg:

When mounting with "-v -o -i,-s" I get:

nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding
Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
nfs server p-h:/people: not responding

When mounting with "-v -o -i,-s,-T" I get:

impossible packet length (1516126026) from nfs server se:/people
receive error 27 from nfs server se:/people
impossible packet length (808342880) from nfs server se:/people
receive error 27 from nfs server se:/people
impossible packet length (861948492) from nfs server se:/people
receive error 27 from nfs server se:/people
impossible packet length (721158501) from nfs server se:/people
receive error 27 from nfs server se:/people

I have changed the ethernetcard already and on the same wire there are
other machines which work great...

	-Andre