Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 09:31:21 -0800
From:      John Scharles <johns@cruz.isle.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Digiboard pc/8

I'm trying to setup a Digiboard PC/8 on a machine running
FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP. After looking through the
handbook this is what I've added to the kernel config:

options "COM_MULTIPORT"

device          sio4    at isa? port 0x200 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio5    at isa? port 0x208 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio6    at isa? port 0x210 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio7    at isa? port 0x218 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio8    at isa? port 0x220 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio9    at isa? port 0x228 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio10   at isa? port 0x230 tty flags 0xb05
device          sio11   at isa? port 0x238 tty flags 0xb05 irq 5 vector siointr

and this is the relevant output of the startup probe:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2: disabled, not probed.
sio3: disabled, not probed.
sio4 at 0x200-0x207 flags 0xb05 on isa
sio4: type 16550A (multiport)
sio5 at 0x208-0x20f flags 0xb05 on isa
sio5: type 16550A (multiport)
sio6 at 0x210-0x217 flags 0xb05 on isa
sio6: type 16550A (multiport)
sio7 at 0x218-0x21f flags 0xb05 on isa
sio7: type 16550A (multiport)
sio8 at 0x220-0x227 flags 0xb05 on isa
sio8: type 16550A (multiport)
sio9 at 0x228-0x22f flags 0xb05 on isa
sio9: type 16550A (multiport)
sio10 at 0x230-0x237 flags 0xb05 on isa
sio10: type 16550A (multiport)
sio11 at 0x238-0x23f irq 5 flags 0xb05 on isa
sio11: type 16550A (multiport master)

I ran MAKEDEV to create all the necessary ttyd and cuaa files, but
I'm not seeing any response when I try to use cu to connect through
the digiboard ports, although the builtin sio0 & 1 ports work fine.
(I'm also not seeing anything when I add these ports to the ttys file
and try to login through a terminal program....again the sio0 & 1 ports
work fine)

Is there some way to check out the operability of serial ports, and where are
sio0 and 1 initalized (maybe the default function in rc.serial??)?

js
John Scharles